Try before you buy.

My fiancé and I have been together for years now. She is a Theatre teacher and with my background in both music (sax player for a quarter century now) and wood working (just over twenty years in manufacturing) she tends to tap me as a resource for productions she is involved with. Sometimes I find myself designing and constructing props and set pieces. Other times I may be playing music, conducting a group of musicians to accompany a musical, or musical directing a youth theatre company. Most recently I even had the chance to perform as a puppeteer in the New York International Fringe Festival. Constantly being ‘dragged’ into the world of theatre leaves me with only one regret, and that is that I wish I had more expertise or training in the theatre arts so that I could contribute at a higher level. This has driven me to strongly consider a minor in Theatre at Queens College.

Impulsiveness being rarely a good thing, I do not wish to charge headlong into a Theatre minor without finding out if I will be both happy with, and passionate about the program. To this end I have been lucky enough to have been awarded a Federal Work Study grant and have chosen a position in the scene shop on campus. By semester’s end I should know if the Theatre minor is right for me.

The concept of ‘try before you buy’ is one which I have preached to friends and colleagues for years now. Here is what I mean:

Want to be a nurse/doctor/first responder? Try and arrange a couple of ride-along sessions with a paramedic unit. See firsthand what it is like when a life is on the line. Don’t wait till you have gone three years into medical school to find out you can’t stand the sight of blood.

Want to be a teacher? Volunteer with any number of youth organizations to find out if you can stand other peoples kids for more than an hour.

Want to be a mommy/daddy? Babysit/Foster.

I could give countless more examples. Basically I am saying, if it will be a big part of your future, find a way to ‘sample’ it first.

What are your future goals, and how are you going to try before you buy?

‘till soon,

J Prime

22 Responses to “Try before you buy.”

1. Laura Says:

Great advice Mr. Prime! This would save sooo much time and money if we all did this. I personally know a few people who have gone to college for a career, graduated and decided its not really what they wanted to do. Now every single one of them are back at square one. I love this “sample, try before you buy” idea!

2. weight loss Says:

I like this info shown and it has given me some sort of commitment to have success for some reason, so thanks.

3. bags prices Says:

Really helpful information for me. Thnak U much times as think as possible. Luv U

4. Rapidshare Search Says:

I enjoyed to c that thinks. Great informative and helpful article.

5. depositfiles links Says:

Interesting and useful information. I just wanna tell U “Thanks”. Thanks!

6. Buy Aricept Says:

Im glad that I found it, Very well post here.

7. Tatiana Flaker Says:

With all the doggone snow we have gotten recently I am stuck indoors, fortunately there is the internet, thanks for giving me something to do. 🙂

8. weight loss secrets Says:

I simply could not go away your web site before suggesting that I actually enjoyed the standard information an
    individual supply to your guests? Is gonna be back incessantly to check out new posts

9. http://mebody44.com Says:

Wow, wonderful weblog format! How long have you ever been running a blog for? you make blogging look easy. The whole look of your site is great, let alone the content material!

10. mooduu Says:

Thanks for finally talking about > The Undergrad Railroad

11. BITSHARE PREMIUM LINK GENERATOR Says:

Pretty component of content. I simply stumbled upon your weblog and in accession capital to say that
    I acquire in fact enjoyed account your weblog posts.
    Anyway I will be subscribing for your feeds or even I
    achievement you get right of entry to consistently fast.

12. easynews.com Says:

Easynews has been an industry leader in the Usenet business for over 15 years. We’re a company you can trust to deliver you high-quality, browser based newsgroup access from anywhere you choose. We are constantly striving to remain on the cutting edge with high retention rates and completion. Search, preview and download from anywhere you have Internet access. No problems, Fast, safely, cheaply, uncensored and legal .. whatever and whenever you want!!! http://easynews.com/?a_aid=starsx

13. weight loss with Supplement Says:

You are so awesome! I don’t suppose I have read through anything like this before.
    So great to find someone with a few original thoughts on this subject matter.
    Really.. many thanks for starting this up. This website is one thing that’s
    needed on the web, someone with some originality!

14. Wiatrak67@yahoo.com Says:

hello m name is stacey i am a wellness specialist. i can aid you with any overall health dilemma make sure you allow me know many thanks

15. roof mend Says:

roof mend

16. download songs|mp3 download|music download|youtube to mp3|songs download|download music|hollywood songs download|english songs download|download dindi songs|latest bollywood mp3|hindi mp3 songs|music album|soundtracks|movie mp3|bollywood mp3 songs|downloa Says:

download songs|mp3 download|music download|youtube to mp3|songs download|download music|hollywood songs download|english songs download|download dindi songs|latest bollywood mp3|hindi mp3 songs|music album|soundtracks|movie mp3|bollywood mp3 songs|do…

[…]The Undergrad Railroad » Blog Archive » Try before you buy.[…]

17. free payg orange micro sim card Says:

free payg orange micro sim card

18. Continue Says:

Continue

19. Keep Reading Says:

Keep Reading

20. assaPrivate Vouchers,Private Gifts,Private Coupons,Division vouchers,Division Gifts,Division Coupons,Easy to Saving money,easy to get free vouchers,easy to get free coupons,easy to get free gifts,easy ways to start saving money,easy ways for saving money, Says:

assaPrivate Vouchers,Private Gifts,Private Coupons,Division vouchers,Division Gifts,Division Coupons,Easy to Saving money,easy to get free vouchers,easy to get free coupons,easy to get free gifts,easy ways to start saving money,easy ways for saving m…

21. me adarayai sirasa tv Says:

me adarayai sirasa tv

22. Eye health Vitamins reviews Says:

Eye health Vitamins reviews

The Undergrad Railroad » Blog Archive » Try before you buy.